My biggest mistake as a mom....

Do you ever notice how much younger siblings pick up from their older counterparts? I am often amazed by how much McKaylee has learned from her big brother, constantly begging to do everything he does and always trying to copy exactly what he says. Being a boy and almost six, my wonderfully funny Talks-a-lot has a love for talking about anything involving body parts or bodily functions. I will be the first to admit that my initial response is not one of correction and I sometimes even (gasp) giggle and join in. Don't get me wrong, it's all innocent and mild, nothing vulgar or crude. I certainly would never encourage him to talk about the human body in an inappropriate way. So I guess I'm just a weird mom like that and I suppose it could get us in trouble eventually, but it's just like our little thing and....well, frankly, it's funny! But lately I've noticed my tender, girly little girl saying some very interesting things. Landen has caught on to the fact that he can get his little sister to say anything he wants her to and it sounds pretty hilarious coming out of her mouth, so he has taught her some choice phrases. One of them is "heiny crack". The only bad thing about this is that my little girl has no conscience about where and when she chooses to say these wonderful little phrases. So we could be out in Walmart and all of a sudden she'll start yelling, "Heiny crack!!". Yes, I know, that is horrible. And yes I do realize that she is a young "lady" and should never utter any sort of phrase about a private body part, which is why I cover my mouth when I laugh at her so she will not think I am encouraging this behavior. If you are blushing right now or simply horrified that I would find this at all amusing, just listen to this video and tell me that you would not giggle (even just a little bit) if you heard this:



So what's my biggest mistake as a mom? Instead of saying, "No, no", discouraging childish silliness and correcting my children's never ending desire to say ridiculous things, sometimes I just laugh!

Comments

Anonymous said…
as a grandmother of 5, I have to say I laughed too. She is beautiful.
Jaci Spain said…
Awww, that is too precious. And I would laugh too. Sometimes you just have to as a mom. It's such a stress reliever:)

Popular Posts